Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hello from Indonesia!!!

I'm in Indonesia!!!

I know I seem to be travelling all over the place these days, and I'm really starting to get sick of packing and unpacking, but Indo is better than I thought. With all the media hype you'd think you wouldn't be able to walk down the street without being kidnapped or seeing a terrorist, but life is pretty normal down here (or up here, depending on your perspective). I mean, the people complain about exorbitant costs and many are still living in poverty, but most Indonesians are peace-loving people, especially in the town I was born in, Bandung. By the way, this is not bias, I was really dreading this trip; I'd just come back from China and missing Jase a lot, we'd just moved to a new house so things are a bit all over the place, plus I have no friends in Indo (I left when I was very young). I had to see my grandma and other relatives though, so I had to come here, bird flu or not. Luckily, even though my Indonesian is a bit rusty, I look Indonesian so there's no chance of me being kidnapped cos I'm a foreigner (unless they see my passport, I guess). But then again. it's probably DFAT being all paranoid (I suppose they have to be, it's their job).

My relatives were really open-minded about my relationship with Jason, surprisingly. My really old (and sometimes senile) grandmother even wanted to keep his picture, which was sweet. I heard of a friend of my sister's best friend marrying a black guy as well and they have a gorgeous kid, brown with squinty asian eyes (aww.... he he he). It really gave me a lot of hope for our future.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am black and my boyfriend is Indonesian. I am in love! I never knew of any black/asian couples. I would like to get married, but he is in Indo now. Any suggestions?

12:23 am  
Blogger daffydevil said...

It's great that you're in love! Congrats! Have you discussed marriage with him? I would suggest taking things slow and talking it through - have a plan. Get the support of both your families because it does make a difference.

1:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love seeing all types of interracial couples. It's cool.. Children of all types of interracial couplings always seem to look more attractive than monoracials, not that monoracial people are ugly. I think that mixed race people provide a healthier and stronger gene pool too.

Hats off to the people who produce them too, you will make the world a better place in the long run:) Mixed race people should also learn about both or multiple cultures if one or both parents are mixed as well and not be ignorantly brainwashed to identify with one side over the other as they are some of the most unique individuals on the planet most with the ability to like everyonelse because they have the best of both or multiple racial worlds.

We need more halfies, and mutli- racials in the world to strengthen humankind:)

2:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home